Lions Tigers and Bears

And we're off!

As I'm writing this close to the end of 2021, I'd like to sit back and look back at some of the things I've done the last year. It was a year full of workshops, wireframes, augmented reality and Blender 3D.

User Experience Design

UX Logos

These are just a few of the websites I helped design
for SKINN Branding Agency in 2021.

UX Work 2021

Final designs by SKINN Branding Agency, based on wireframes by Lions Tigers and Bears.

AR Development and production

AR Product viewer and digital catalogue for Royal Botania, made in collaboration with Craftzing.

AR Logos

AR Work 2021

As well as assisting with Unity development (specifically the AR) I also created an asset pipeline in Blender to convert the client's CAD designs into assets usable for real-time applications.

New Client: Listen! Festival

I had the privilege to work together with the organizers of Listen!, a Brussels-based music festival, to update their website. Working with Lobster I helped animate and implement this year's key visual, as well as a quick restyle of the existing to fit the theme.

Dev Work 2021

I used Blender to animate the keyvisual based on Lobster's design.

Von Neumann's Catastrophe: Quick Update

Whenever I wasn't doing client work I continued working on my game, Von Neumann's Catastrophe (or VNC, for short).

I had some setbacks along the way, and restarted from scratch a couple of times, but this was to be expected, as this is my first solo game project. In 2022 I plan to communicate a lot more about this game and its development, but for now, consider this a small teaser of things to come.

These screenshot collages were made between Q1 2020 and Q4 2021.

VR Experimentation and Blender to Unity pipeline

VNC Update 1

Having acquired an Oculus Quest, I spent some time figuring out the limits of what I could do on this portable VR device, and along the way learned a lot about professional game asset production.

Gameplay prototyping: building a universe

VNC Update 2

The first prototypes were very much "smoke and mirrors" when it came to simulating a physically accurate universe. I knew I wanted a more realistic, hands-on flight model and so I got to grips with the myriad of problems involved in creating astronomical gameworlds within the limitations of a floating point-based rendering system.

Porting to DOTS

VNC Update 3

Having learnt a lot about creating 64-bit gameworlds and running into some performance hurdles, I decided to take a chance and port my game over to Unity's Data-Oriented Technology Stack (or DOTS).